Whenever you purchase goods, the merchant or manufacturer can offer you a warranty free of charge. This is called a "conventional warranty."

How to have the merchant or manufacturer warranty applied

If your item is covered by a warranty from the merchant or manufacturer, you must follow certain steps to enforce your rights. In particular, you will have to ask the merchant or manufacturer to repair the item or obtain their authorization to have it repaired.

You must show that:

  • the problem prevents you from using the item normally;
  • you have used or maintained the item normally, in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations or the warranty's terms and conditions.

What if the merchant or manufacturer refuses to apply the warranty? First, try to come to an agreement. The page titled Negotiating With a Merchant explains how to proceed.

If the negotiation fails, you can send a formal notice to the merchant or manufacturer. The page titled Sending a Formal Notice provides details on this subject.

If the merchant or manufacturer fails to respond to the demand formulated in your formal notice, you may have recourse options before the courts. The page on the small claims court provides information on this subject.


Any warranty exclusions must be clearly indicated by the merchant or manufacturer. Some manufacturers apply the warranty on the condition that you purchased the item from a certified merchant. If you purchased the item from an uncertified merchant, that merchant must notify you in writing, before the transaction is finalized, that the manufacturer's warranty does not apply. If the merchant fails to notify you of that fact, they will have to apply the warranty at their own expense, if applicable.

Top of page

Last update : February 13, 2020

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.