If your claim for compensation with the Office de la protection du consommateur is denied, either in part or in whole, you may have other recourse options.

You could also choose to undertake one of these procedures, rather than filing a claim for compensation with the Office.

Submitting a request to a credit card issuer

If you made an online purchase and you paid the merchant with a credit card, you may, in certain situations, ask that the transaction be cancelled. For more information, refer to either of the following pages:

Recourse before the courts

If the amount of your claim is $15,000 or less, you can file a claim with the Small Claims Division of the Court of Québec.

If you undertake this recourse option, please send the Office a copy of your proceedings to the following address:

Office de la protection du consommateur
Direction des permis et de l’indemnisation
400, boul. Jean-Lesage, bureau 450
Québec (Québec) G1K 8W4

The merchant files for bankruptcy

If the merchant has received protection under Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act, you will not be able to continue with your proceedings or initiate any new ones, unless you obtain an order from the Superior Court of Québec to that effect. Consulting an attorney may be recommended.

To find out whether a merchant has declared bankruptcy or undertaken steps in this regard, you can consult the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Records. This Government of Canada service is provided for a fee.

Filing a claim with the Régie du bâtiment

If you dealt with a contractor that holds a licence from the Régie du bâtiment du Québec (RBQ), and this contractor failed to abide by its obligations, you may have access to the security the contractor provided to receive the licence. This security is a financial warranty that can protect you under certain circumstances.

Refer to the RBQ website to find out about your recourse options.

Top of page

Last update : May 5, 2021

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.