Business practices that mislead you or give you false hope for the purpose of encouraging you to buy are illegal. They can include:

  • false advertising;
  • false information provided by the itinerant salesperson verbally or in writing.

For example, an itinerant merchant cannot make false promises about the offered good or service. He does not have the right to claim that installing a heat pump will help you save 50% off your heating bill if he cannot support his claim.


The law stipulates that recourse is possible when an itinerant merchant has provided you with false or misleading information. You will need to:

  1. Inform the merchant of the problem and present your solution to him.
  2. If you cannot reach an agreement, you must send a demand letter to the merchant. The page on how to Send a demand letter explains what you need to do.
  3. If the merchant does not respond to your demand, ask the court to settle the issue. The page on how to Make a claim to the small claims court will provide you with all the details you need.

You can also contact the Office de la protection du consommateur to find out if you can file a complaint.

Top of page

Last update : April 6, 2020

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.