When you register your child at a day camp or a stayover camp, the merchant must give you a contract that specifies all of the conditions of the agreement. This type of contract is defined in the law as a “contract involving sequential performance.”

Day camps and stayover camps not covered

The law does not govern camps offered by public institutions, such as municipal recreation services.

Mandatory information

Refer to the page on what must be included in a contract for a day camp or a stayover camp.

Telephone or online registrations

If the registration was made by telephone or online, the merchant has other obligations. Refer to the page on registering for a day camp or a stayover camp online or by telephone.

Purchase of material or equipment

If you decide to purchase the required material or equipment from the merchant that offers the camp, the merchant must give you a written contract that contains certain mandatory information if the cost of the material is over $100. This is called an “accessory contract.” Refer to the page on purchasing camp material or equipment for more details.

Cancelling the registration

You can cancel a registration at a camp at any time by respecting certain conditions. You will only have to pay a penalty if your child has begun attending the camp. However, this penalty is well regulated. Refer to the page on cancelling a contract for a day camp or a stayover camp for more details.

Top of page

Last update : October 15, 2021

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.