If negotiating with a merchant and sending a formal notice have not solved your problem, you can take your case to the Civil Division of the Court of Quebec.

The general division of the Civil Division of the Court of Quebec handles cases in which the requested amounts are more than $15,000 but do not exceed $85,000.

If your claim is just over $15,000, you can lower it to $15,000 to file a complaint with the small claims court.

Steps to filing a complaint

To learn more about what you need to do to take your case to court, refer to the Éducaloi Web site.

You can also consult a lawyer, who can help you prepare your case and represent you in court. The Barreau du Québec Web site provides useful advice and helps with finding a lawyer.

Top of page

You recommend this page: https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/

Last update : May 3, 2021

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.