Heating and air conditioning repair persons must abide by certain obligations.

Check whether the merchant holds the required authorizations

Heating systems and heat pumps are repaired by master pipe mechanics. These mechanics must hold a licence from the Corporation des maîtres mécaniciens en tuyauterie du Québec (in French only).

If electrical work is required to repair your appliance, the repair person must hold a licence from the Corporation des maîtres électriciens du Québec (in French only).

Any person who repairs an air conditioning system must have a refrigeration licence from the Régie du bâtiment du Québec.

Check whether the repair person has an itinerant merchant's permit

Is the repair person you plan on hiring an itinerant merchant? This type of merchant must hold a permit from the Office de la protection du consommateur and provide you with a written contract. Heating or air conditioning system vendors are considered itinerant merchants if they try to sell you their products outside their place of business, for example, if they come to your home without an invitation.

Check whether the repair person has a liability insurance

If the repair person is insured, you will be better protected in the event that any of your property or that of a neighbor is damaged or if a person is the victim of an accident at your home.

Top of page

You recommend this page: https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/

Last update : May 3, 2021

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.