Depending on your situation, you may cancel your ticket purchase for a show or a sports or cultural event, or be entitled to a refund.
Refund requirement for all merchants
If you cannot attend the show or event you bought tickets for, the ticket seller is not required to refund you. Refer to the seller’s cancellation, exchange and refund policy.
Ticket sellers are free to decide the terms of their policy. However, they are required to comply with its rules.
Cancelling a purchase made online, by phone or by mail
In certain situations, you may cancel your purchase when you completed a distance transaction, i.e. online or over the phone. If the merchant does not refund you and you paid by credit card, you may, under certain conditions, request your card issuer to credit your account for the amount paid.
This right of cancellation applies in the following cases:
- the merchant did not provide you with all of the mandatory information before making your purchase. If you dealt with a reseller, that person was required to, among other things, inform you that the ticket in question was being resold and that its cost could be refunded in certain situations;
- your ticket was not delivered on the date agreed upon in writing, at the latest;
- you purchased a ticket from a reseller, but the show or event the ticket granted admission to is cancelled;
- you purchased a ticket from a reseller. The event, the place or seat, or the value of the ticket does not correspond to what was said, written, advertised or claimed when you made your purchase. For example:
- the ticket was supposed to grant you admission to a show by a popular singer, whereas the show is actually performed by an impersonator of that singer,
- your ticket was supposed to grant you admission to the floor section, but you are only granted admission to the balcony section,
- you paid $100 more for your ticket for a meet-and-greet session with an actor after the show. However, everyone in the audience has access to the actor, regardless of the ticket they purchased.
For more information about all of the cancellation options and the procedure to follow, refer to the pages on:
Resale between 2 consumers
You may resell your tickets to friends or through online classifieds, at any price that suits you.
Last update : October 30, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.